Man sentenced to 18 years in plot to kill joss stone
The two-year drama surrounding a plot to rob and murder U.K. singer Joss Stone was laid to rest Tuesday when the second of two men involved in the plot was sentenced to 18 years in prison.
The BBC reports that Junior Bradshaw, 32, and Kevin Liverpool, 35, were both found guilty at Exeter Crown Court in England in April, with Liverpool receiving a life sentence with a minimum term of 10 years and eight months for conspiracy to behead the soul singer in her home in Devon, England, and dump her body in a river.
The men were apprehended in June of 2011 after a suspicious vehicle was spotted in the Cullompton area and were initially arrested on “possession of offensive weapons and being equipped to steal.”
Those weapons included a Samurai sword, two hammers and knives. The men were also touting a body bag.
A series of psychiatric reports delayed Bradshaw’s sentencing, but although doctors found that he suffers from schizophrenia and mental impairment, they concluded that he does not need hospital treatment. His low IQ of 65 also did not preclude him from responsibility, as Bradshaw himself told the judge that he knew what he was involved in.
His sentence was shorter than Liverpool’s, however, because the court deemed him “a foot soldier” in the operation, rather than the mastermind.
Stone has not acknowledged either of the men’s sentencing on social channels, where she is currently promoting her album, The Soul Sessions: Vol 2. Last month, however, the 26-year-old spoke about the plot with a U.K. radio station, calling it “a bit harsh and a little bit odd.” She also said that she has no plans to move in the foreseeable future.