8 times lorde seriously gave us – and taylor swift – the chills during her 2014 ama performance
Even though Lorde‘s debut album Pure Heroine came out in 2013, she’s been dominating 2014 too. As the chief force behind the “Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1″ soundtrack, she not only curated the project but contributed her own original song “Yellow Flicker Beat.”
So what better place to debut the track live for the first time than the 2014 AMAs? And it was one of those spine-tingling performances that had viewers and audience members losing their minds the whole time — especially Taylor Swift.
1. First, there was just darkness… we did not know when the flicker beat would begin:
2. Next, we were caged in with the white walls all around us, princess skin still marble, but things were getting heated:
3. Then, the chorus hit and we all got a COMMUNAL, international chill:
4. Is it just me, or could this maybe be a scene from “Mockingjay” itself? (Or the “Yeezus” tour.) J-Law, c’mere girl we need you for a sec!
5. And then THIS happened, and it became apparent that Lorde is a f–king star. End of story.
6. So as usual, we let Taylor Swift do all our vicarious reacting for us:
7. As if that wasn’t enough, she also took the time to congratulate Sam Smith for his Best Pop/Rock AMA win.
8. Reminder: Lorde is a flawless teenage dream pop star. Watch a clip of the performance below: